Northern Continent. Benden Weyr was the second weyr founded and by the beginning of the Ninth Pass, it was the only Weyr still inhabited by dragonriders.
Benden was one of the three new Weyrs eventually formed by Weyrleader Sean Connell of Fort Weyr in the First Pass. Its first Weyrleaders were Torene, rider of Gold Alaranth and Michael Connell (later known as M'hall), rider of Bronze Brianth. It was originally referred to as the East Coast Weyr, however gold rider Jean proposed that it be called Benden Weyr, after the late Admiral Paul Benden. The mission, along with the founding of another 2 Weyrs (a number that by the end of the pass grew to 4 making a total of 6 Weyrs), was to accommodate the growing number of dragons and their riders. Benden Weyr is located within a double volcanic crater on the east coast of Pern near the Northern Barrier Range. Benden Weyr's symbol is a black Roman numeral II centered on a red diamond.
When first built, Benden Weyr had a capacity of three hundred and fifty dragons, but by the Ninth Pass, this had changed to house five hundred dragons. It should be noted that a Weyr's capacity changes over the years, as riders make expansions and carve out new Weyrs for themselves. For example, the capacity of all Pern's Weyrs went from 2300 Dragons in the Sixth Pass to 3000 Dragons in the Eighth and Ninth Passes.
- M'hall and bronze Brianth; Weyrwoman Torene and gold Alaranth.
- M'shall and bronze Craigath; Weyrwoman Irene and gold Maruth.
- M'tal and bronze Gaminth; Weyrwoman Salina of gold Breth.
- B'nik and bronze Caranth; Weyrwoman Tullea of gold Minith.
Second Long Interval
- G'ranad and bronze
- C'rob and bronze Spakinth; Weyrwoman Carola of gold Feyrith.
- S'loner and bronze Chendith; Weyrwoman Carola of gold Feyrith, later Jora of gold Nemorth.
- Interim Weyrleadership - Weyrleader title shared between four riders; C'vrel and bronze Falarth, C'rob and bronze Spakinth, M'ridin and bronze Cortath & M'odon and brown Nigarth.
- F'lon and bronze Simanith; Weyrwoman Jora of gold Nemorth.
- R'gul and bronze Hath; Weyrwoman Jora of gold Nemorth, later Lessa and gold Ramoth.
- F'lar and bronze Mnementh; Weyrwoman Lessa of gold Ramoth.
Other Notable Benden Residents
- K'tan Weyrhealer
- Tintoval apprentice to K'tan sent to Healer Hall to finish her training.
- T'van dragon blue Talerinth
- Kindan Weyrharper
Second Long Interval
- Bravonner - half-brother to F'lon.
- C'gan - Weyrsinger; dragon blue Tagath.
- F'nor - half-brother to F'lar; dragon brown Canth.
- Jesken - weyr lad.
- Jonno - weyr lad.
- K'net - ; dragon bronze Pianth.
- Larna - Carola's daughter, mother of F'lar.
- L'tol - Future Lord Warder of Ruatha; dragon brown Larth; inadvertantly killed by Tuenth in Firestone accident.
- Manora - Later Headwoman, mother of F'nor.
- Miata - teacher.
- Milla - kitchener.
- Morif - weyr lad.
- Pragel - weyr lad.
- R'yar - Harper youth; dragon brown Garanath.
- S'baran - ; dragon bronze Kilminth.
- S'tellan - ; dragon brown Vickith.
- S'lel - ; dragon bronze Tuenth.
- Stolla - Former Headwoman.
- T'rell - Weyrlingmaster; dragon colour and name unknown.
There is a small hole that overlooks the Benden Hatching Grounds used by children at the Weyr to look at the eggs. This is later sealed up at the request of Lessa and Ramoth when it is brought to the pair's attention by the discovery of the secret rooms by Jaxom and Felessan during the events of the book Dragonquest.
At the Weyr's establishment, the riders sent to it were apparently chosen by random chance, although this was actually planned by the Fort Weyr leaders. The First Weyrleaders were chosen as the riders of first queen to rise (Alaranth, rider Torene) and the bronze that caught her (Brianth, Rider Mihall). Who they would be was also planned by the Weyrleaders at Fort Weyr. During the Second Long Interval, and into the start of the Ninth Pass, Benden Weyr was the only weyr left on Pern, the others having disappeared mysteriously with no trace or word except a cryptic "Question Song". This was answered by Weyrwoman Lessa, who went back in time to bring forward the other five weyrs.
During Dragonsblood, a set of secret rooms (later rediscovered by Jaxom and Felessan, and not to be confused with the peeping hole mentioned above) are built at Benden and used as a "lab" to prevent a plague amongst the dragons.
|This article is a stub. You can help Pern Wiki by expanding it.